Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What does Critical Literacy Mean to Me Now

What does Critical Literacy mean to me now?
What a learning experience! To me it critical literacy means questioning and challenging different points of view is not only okay, but a must. As a teacher, I am striving to create a space where students are encouraged to read from all perspectives. Critical literacy and its uses have changed the way I look at what I chose to present to the class and how. I already read certain questionable stories like, Rumpelstilskin, Rapunzel and of course the famed Cinderella, and I looking back I wonder if the message the students received was the message I wanted to leave them with. While there is a lot of questioning on my end as to whether I’m teaching the right things and reinforcing the right perspectives, I’m encouraged to talk more about the ‘tough questions’, present all sides of difficult topics, and explore books that set examples of how we as a community should treat each other. I’m working on letting go enough to allow my students to facilitate their own conversations, asking each other critical and crucial questions, instead of me leading the group.
I have also been encouraged to make better use of technology in the classroom. The Podcast camp was really inspiring and brought to light a lot ways I could improve the effectiveness of technology.

No comments: