Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Literature websites

I have actually saved these to my computer and shared the links with the folks at work also. Readwritethink.org is my favorite!

http://www.webenglishteacher.com/index.html
This is a site that I found while searching for 6+1 writing trait ideas. It is an excellent site for reading, vocabulary, poetry, mythology and professional resources. It is suitable for all students K-2.
http://www.amlainfo.org/home
I really enjoyed exploring this site and found that it motivated me to use different technologies to explore literacy with students. I don’t think it’s quite suitable for the little ones, but very useful for 3rd grade and higher. While critical literacy was not mentioned specifically, one link referred to investigating the media coverage of national disasters like, Hurricane Katrina. Be Prepared for the Next DisasterWhen Katrina wreaked havoc on the Gulf Coast, NAMLE board members provided a collection of model lesson plans applicable to analysis of media coverage of all disasters
Here’s another off shoot of that site: http://www.medialit.org/reading_room.html
http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=23
I learned about this website last semester. It’s a great literacy site complete with lesson plans. This particular page is a detailed lesson plan about critical literacy and point of view. The page indicates that this lesson is geared toward 6th-8th graders and incorporates writing as well. Perhaps with a few adjustments this lesson would be appropriate for children of younger ages.
http://books.google.com/books?id=PPtLCQFdqBgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Parents+use+critical+literacy&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0#PPR9,M1
Critical Literacy and Writer's Workshop
By Lee Heffernan
I found this website while searching for “critical literacy in the classroom”. It’s a book, that’s available for purchase, but Google had more than a description available. I thought to myself what a great resource this would be in the classroom; not only a link between reading a writing but a critical link. I’m not using “critical” as a play on words, but rather to emphasize the importance. As we create more space to talk about some social political issues, I anticipate some conversations being difficult for students to talk about it. However, if they’re given the space to also write about it (and I’m given a guide on how to do it), those conversations can be had, comfortably and effectively.

1 comment:

Lisa Fink said...

Thanks for the positive comment about ReadWriteThink! We are very proud of what we have to offer on the site. If you are interested, we pay educators to write lesson plans and publish teaching ideas on the site. Let me know if you would like more information!