Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Advertisments and Government

I didn't realize how much advertisment had on cultures; both ours and abroad. Now that I more critically at advertisement and the link between sponsors and governments I see were cultures are stereotyped, and marginalized. Honestly, last week was very eye opening to me. Of course I notice how stereotypes and gender roles are used in this country, but I didn't ever think about advertisment as a global issue.
Critical discours analysis should be used in schools if not as teaching tool then as a method by which we choose curriculums and supportig materials. Looking "critically" at some of the early childhood books and materials (dolls, puppets) in my classroom, I wonder what impressions or socializations about themselves, other cultures and their gender roles they are receiving. As we stated in class last week, I agree the benefit of teaching the students to think critically is having students who don't "accept" anything but challenge everything!

5 comments:

Margaret said...

I would be fascinated to hear more about your critical analysis of dolls, puppets and picture books. I did a mini banned book unit with my students at the end of the year. The most banned book of 2006 was And Tango Makes Three, a picture book about two male penguins raising a chick together. Recently I heard an interview on NPR with the author of a picture book called "Mommy, There's Liberals Under My Bed" (it might have been Democrats - I can't find the article on npr.org, so I'll have to rely on memory) by an author who felt that children's books have a liberal bias, so he wanted to create something parents could use to teach their children capitalist values. What types of hidden ideologies are we sending to very young children?

MV said...

Ditto what Margaret said! Re. hidden ideologies...they're all around us. My three year old the other day picked up a pen, handed it to me and said "here mommy, a hotel pen". Talk about branding and consumerism where you least expect it!

Deborah M said...

The dolls, puppets, picture books intersection with banned books - and branded pens! - is an amazing locus.

Wish we could explore in class.....LSNB needs to be MUCH longer!

Deborah M said...

Jamie your subject matter and line of inquiry were very compelling in the presentation you gave us last night at our last class.

I was impressed with the multi-media aspects too!

Thanks - it was exciting to be a fellow student with you.

Khine said...

Your presentation was excellent. I suggest that it be used as a presentation model. Would you e-mail it to the entire class? How would you contact us? Or, how can I contact you?