Friday, May 25, 2007

Jamie

It's hard to start this off without sounding corny or redundant. My name is Jamie and I am originally from New York. I moved to D.C. a few moons ago to attend this fine institution of higher learning:). OK seriously, I really enjoyed my 4 years as an undergrad and I'm excited to be back here! My undergraduate degrees is in criminal justice which is admittedly a little strange for a teacher. Considering that most violent offenders are not well educated, I'm guessing that education would be the best way to turn the tide. With all of that said, I've lived in the District for ten years and I have been teaching for five. Currently, I teach Pre-K at Hope Community Charter School in NE D.C. Teaching has taught me that language and literacy are the best foundation for empowerment and success and teaching has also taught me that neither are freely given. I'm hoping this class will help me provide more opportunities to my students.

2 comments:

Deborah M said...

In your comments about RPF your evaluation of inequities is powerful, and your observations about boys very compelling. I am intrigued by your background and your commitment to education and I look forward to discussing your points about access and inequity when we convene as a group again. the comments about voting and voice in PNG are very resonant. Thanks Jamie.

MV said...

Hilary Janks always said that in schools we don't do enough of working with notions of language and power...underlying issues in your post!

Thanks
vivian